Despite opposition from three quarters of Wisconsinites, last night Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate rammed through their bill attacking working families. This attack is not just about Wisconsin … it’s an attack on working Americans throughout the country, driven by ideology and powerful corporate interests.
Last night’s one-party vote was a vote against the people who teach our kids to read, who plow our roads during blizzards, who help us when we’re sick and who rush into burning buildings. Last night, they gave up any pretense that their agenda has anything to do with the budget — these provisions are just an all-out attack on the rights of hard-working people.
Last night, Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate did an end-run around the rules to strike a death blow to workers’ rights in that state.
According to the Senate rules, the Democratic Senators who left the state to prevent movement of the Governor’s budget plan were able to stop that bill because it was a budget bill that included spending. So, last night in a sneaky, thoroughly anti-democratic move which some are saying could be illegal, the Republican Senators took the provision that guts workers’ collective bargaining rights and passed it as a standalone bill.
Tell Wisconsin GOP: “Not on our watch!” … and the first critical step to doing that: RECALL.
We MUST send the message to right-wing bullies in Wisconsin and every state that there is a price for waging war on American workers and the very rights that make this country great and that built the middle class.
What the Wisconsin GOP did last night was also an attack on the democratic process. Now, let’s show them what democracy is really all about and hold them accountable at the voting booth.
Help us recall these Senators and replace them with lawmakers who will stand up for working families, who will stand up for their constituents and their fundamental rights.
Please, if there ever was a time to invest in democracy and give your money to a worthy cause, now is that time. Donate to our campaign to recall the Republican 8.
Thanks for all you do and for all your great support. It’s needed now more than ever.
Ben Betz, Online Strategy Manager
P.S. Passing the union-busting part of Gov. Walker’s plan as a stand-alone, non-fiscal measure exposes the lie that the attack on workers’ rights had anything whatsoever to do with saving money and fixing the budget. This assault was driven by ideology and politics all along — and we won’t let this undemocratic overreach stand. Help us recall the Republican 8 with a contribution now.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.