PFC Manning Stripped Naked Again
PFC Manning was forced to strip naked in his cell again last night. As with the previous evening, Quantico Brig guards required him to surrender all of his clothing. PFC Manning then walked back to his bed, and spent the next seven hours in humiliation.
The decision to require him to be stripped of all clothing was made by the Brig commander, Chief Warrant Officer-2 Denise Barnes. According to First Lieutenant Brian Villard, a Marine spokesman, the decision was “not punitive” and done in accordance with Brig rules. There can be no conceivable justification for requiring a soldier to surrender all his clothing, remain naked in his cell for seven hours, and then stand at attention the subsequent morning. This treatment is even more degrading considering that PFC Manning is being monitored — both by direct observation and by video — at all times. The defense was informed by Brig officials that the decision to strip PFC Manning of all his clothing was made without consulting any of the Brig’s mental health providers.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- After Sandy, New Jersey tried e-voting—and that was a disaster, too
- “Stop thanking us,” an Army veteran writes, “and please start thinking what these wars have done to us (and everybody else)”
- Is Kiev going to war again?
- Sunoco spills 4,000 barrels of crude near Caddo Lake, Louisiana
- Americans don’t need to know where meat comes from, says WTO
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Edward Snowden did NOT lie: Michael Green responds to Kevin Ryan
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.