Nuclear Power Industry Primed for Political Fight if Officials Sour on Plant Expansion Plans
By Dave Levinthal on March 14, 2011 4:39 PM
U.S. politicians are this week renewing debate over the merits of a decades-long freeze on domestic nuclear plant construction as half a world away, Japan faces a potential meltdown of reactors at its Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station.
And if a political fight over new plant construction materializes, advocates of nuclear power in the United States are primed for it, a Center for Responsive Politics analysis of federal lobbying and campaign finance data indicates.
The Nuclear Energy Institute, a pro-nuclear power trade organization, has lobbied the federal government more during the past three years than it has at any point since 1998, when the Center first began tracking federal lobbying efforts.
Its priciest federal lobbying output came in 2008 at $2.36 million, followed in 2009 by $2.07 million in lobbying expenditures. Last year, it spent $1.69 million.
2 Comments to “Nuke industry prepares to lobby us to death”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Words of Power
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.