Asia Alert from the Wall Street Journal:
“A building at a troubled Japanese nuclear power facility collapsed Saturday afternoon with smoke billowing out, and officials responded by expanding the evacuation perimeter and saying they were preparing to stockpile iodine supplies ‘just in case.’
“Officials declined, however, to say whether the explosion had occurred specifically at the Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 nuclear reactor, or to confirm media reports that a sharp increase in radiation outside the site had been detected.
“Hours earlier, a spokesman for the plant operator said efforts to avoid a meltdown appeared to be making progress.”
Japan Tries Using Seawater to Cool Damaged Reactor
By MARI IWATA And ANDREW MONAHAN
TOKYO-Japanese officials continued their battle to control dangerous reactor overheating in the nation’s worst nuclear accident that followed Friday’s earthquake, as they resorted to an unprecedented attempt to cool the reactor with seawater.
Top government officials assured the nation Saturday evening that an explosion that took place at one of the reactors at the Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power plant earlier in the day merely knocked down the walls of its external concrete building, and that the reactor and the containment structure surrounding it remained intact.
One Comment to “Nature of explosion at Japan nuke plant (or near it) still unclear”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.