Asia Alert from the Wall Street Journal:
“A building at a troubled Japanese nuclear power facility collapsed Saturday afternoon with smoke billowing out, and officials responded by expanding the evacuation perimeter and saying they were preparing to stockpile iodine supplies ‘just in case.’
“Officials declined, however, to say whether the explosion had occurred specifically at the Fukushima Daiichi No. 1 nuclear reactor, or to confirm media reports that a sharp increase in radiation outside the site had been detected.
“Hours earlier, a spokesman for the plant operator said efforts to avoid a meltdown appeared to be making progress.”
Japan Tries Using Seawater to Cool Damaged Reactor
By MARI IWATA And ANDREW MONAHAN
TOKYO-Japanese officials continued their battle to control dangerous reactor overheating in the nation’s worst nuclear accident that followed Friday’s earthquake, as they resorted to an unprecedented attempt to cool the reactor with seawater.
Top government officials assured the nation Saturday evening that an explosion that took place at one of the reactors at the Tokyo Electric Power Co.’s Fukushima Daiichi nuclear-power plant earlier in the day merely knocked down the walls of its external concrete building, and that the reactor and the containment structure surrounding it remained intact.
One Comment to “Nature of explosion at Japan nuke plant (or near it) still unclear”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.