WISCONSIN: PACKERS BACK THE PROTESTERS
By Dave Zirin
After a thirty-year erosion of power, influence, and
numerical strength, a period of reckoning has arrived for
organized labor, and the terms of the debate couldn’t be
starker. It’s not wages or benefits that are being negotiated
in the twenty-first century. It’s whether labor unions-and
the basic protections they bring-will exist at all.
This can be seen dramatically in the two most high-profile
labor disputes in the country, disputes that on their face
couldn’t seem more different. There are the public-sector
workers of Wisconsin-the teachers, ambulance drivers, and
child-care workers-trying to fend off Governor Scott Walker’s
efforts to legislate them out of existence. Then there are
the N.F.L. players, facing an imminent lockout if they don’t
accept massive wage cuts and a longer season.
It seems almost comical to compare the two: after all, in
Wisconsin, public-sector workers are attempting to defend
decent-paying jobs that they can keep for decades and then
retire with a sense of security. In the N.F.L., the Players
Association is attempting to defend lucrative careers that
last on average three and a half years, have a hundred per
cent injury rate, and will statistically result in death
twenty years earlier than the typical American male.
But both face someone across the negotiating table–Governor
Walker or N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell–who questions
their right to exist and their right to organize. They are
reading from the same neo-liberal playbook, and the only
difference is that Goodell actually has a college degree and
is probably just savvy enough not to take a prank call
supposedly from one of the Koch brothers. (When I was in
Madison last week, I saw twenty eight-year-olds with a banner
that read, ‘Scotty is as smart as my potty.’) Goodell and the
N.F.L. owners are guaranteed network-television and
sponsorship money whether there are any games this year or
not. That’s why the owners, with nary a dissent, have
announced that they are ready and willing to lock the doors,
even if it forces the union to decertify and they lose the
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.