“The mainstream media might be reluctant to give wider coverage to the videos and photos being circulated by the right because the extreme rhetoric of some union supporters isn’t being echoed by high-profile liberals, suggested Mark Crispin Miller, a media studies professor at New York University.
“‘There’s a difference between grass-roots anger and profanity, on the one hand, and extremely prominent public figures making violent remarks on the other,’ he said. ‘Most of the Democratic criticism of inflammatory speech was aimed at prominent public figures in the Republican Party or the right-wing media. Sarah Palin was the one who urged people to reload. Glenn Beck has made several incendiary remarks.'”
Videos a weapon in Wisconsin fight
Michelle Malkin and Andrew Breitbart have posted rallly videos. | POLITICO screengrab/AP PhotoClose
By KENNETH P. VOGEL | 3/3/11 4:24 AM EST Updated: 3/3/11 8:41 PM ES
Stung by allegations of incendiary, racist and homophobic rhetoric at tea party rallies last year, conservative activists with flipcams and camera phones have circulated at the union protests sprouting up across the country in hopes of catching violent or abusive behavior by their liberal adversaries.
The resulting photos and videos have ricocheted around the conservative blogosphere in recent days, prompting mounting outrage on the right.
“Union Hate Rally in Wisconsin: Protests Rife With Hitler, Gun Targets, Death Threats,” blared a headline on Fox News’s opinion site Fox Nation over a video taken at a union rally in Madison by the state Republican Party that showed protestors’ signs including one in which crosshairs were superimposed on a photograph of Republican Gov. Scott Walker next to the words, “Don’t Retreat, Reload,” and others in which Walker is compared to Adolf Hitler, Benito Mussolini and Hosni Mubarak.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.