The Education of Diane Ravitch
Should public schools fear billionaires? Is Finland a poster nation? An interview with the nation’s leading education historian.
By Kristina Rizga
1]When I called education historian Diane Ravitch  last week to ask her MoJo readers’ questions , she was on the other line with producers from The Daily Show With Jon Stewart . Stewart, whose mother worked for years as a teacher, was about to do a segment on Wisconsin and “the greed ” of public school teachers; the show needed a guest who could add context to Fox News pundit clips  in which financial sector workers earning $250,000 a year could barely pay their mortgages, but teachers earning $50,000 a year with benefits were overpaid. Ravitch-a surprising, prominent, conservative voice in the education debate-didn’t disappoint. Between Stewart and Ravitch, the resulting Daily Show segment  delivers a stinging rebuke to those who’d strip public school teachers of their collective bargaining rights.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.