Japan nuclear crisis worsens as country braces for second huge earthquake
• Scientists predict second massive quake of 7.0
• Nuclear crisis as second reactor cooling system fails
• PM says disaster is worst since second world war
• Earthquake and tsunami death toll set to top 10,000
Justin McCurry in Tokyo
guardian.co.uk, Sunday 13 March 2011 12.10 GMT
Three days after a devastating earthquake unleashed a tsunami in which at least 10,000 people are feared dead, Japan on Sunday faced a deepening nuclear crisis and the prospect of another very powerful quake.
The prime minister, Naoto Kan, called the disaster “Japan’s most severe crisis since the war ended 65 years ago”. He called on the country to unite and said its future would be decided by the response to this crisis.
The threat of further seismic shifts and tsunami is far from over. As rescue teams from more than 70 countries and tens of thousands of Japanese troops descended on the disaster zone, meteorological agency officials warned there was a 70% chance of a magnitude 7.0 earthquake striking the region in the next three days. “There will be many aftershocks in multiple locations. We have to brace ourselves for aftershocks of magnitude 5 or even magnitude 6,” an agency official said.
One Comment to “As nuke crisis worsens, Japan braces for 2nd quake”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.