Libya intervention threatens the Arab spring
Despite its official UN-granted legality, the credibility of Western military action in Libya
is rapidly dwindling.
By Phyllis Bennis
Ironically, one of the reasons many people supported
the call for a no-fly zone was the fear that if Gaddafi
managed to crush the Libyan people’s uprising and
remain in power, it would send a devastating message to
other Arab dictators: Use enough military force and you
will keep your job.
Instead, it turns out that just the opposite may be the
result: It was after the UN passed its no-fly zone and
use-of-force resolution, and just as US, British,
French and other warplanes and warships launched their
attacks against Libya, that other Arab regimes
escalated their crack-down on their own democratic
In Yemen, 52 unarmed protesters were killed and more
than 200 wounded on Friday by forces of the US-backed
and US-armed government of Ali Abdullah Saleh. It was
the bloodiest day of the month-long Yemeni uprising.
President Obama “strongly condemned” the attacks and
called on Saleh to “allow demonstrations to take place
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Online Journal
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.