Bradley Manning’s ‘Cruel and Unusual’ Treatment
By Congressman Dennis Kucinich
Kucinich: Does treatment of Pfc. Bradley Manning constitute ‘cruel and unusual’ treatment?
Questions follow a report that the army ignored evidence of mental health problems.
Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) yesterday wrote to Defense Secretary Robert Gates asking for information about reports that the Army ignored evidence of the mental health problems of Pfc. Bradley Manning, the soldier accused of leaking classified information to WikiLeaks. Kucinich also asked for confirmation and explanation of reports that the Army is holding Pfc. Manning in conditions that would likely exacerbate his condition and could contribute a violation of the his Eighth Amendment right of protection from ‘cruel and unusual’ punishment.
The full text of the letter follows.
February 2, 2011
The Honorable Robert M. Gates
Secretary of Defense
1400 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301
Dear Secretary Gates:
This morning, The Washington Post reported that Pfc. Bradley J. Manning, the Army intelligence analyst who is accused of being the source of the WikiLeaks documents, was known by the Army to have had mental health problems even before his deployment to Iraq. “At Fort Drum, Manning balled up his fists and screamed at higher-ranking soldiers in his unit….” A “mental health specialist” recommended that he not be deployed to Iraq, “but his immediate commanders sent him anyway….”
One Comment to “Why is US trying to drive Bradley Manning crazy? Kucinich asks Robert Gates”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.