The Right-Wing Dough Supporting the Sicko ‘Stings’ at Planned Parenthood
By Adele M. Stan
On a conference call with bloggers convened by Media Matters for America with Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards and Vice President Stewart Schear, I got a little lead into where Lila Rose, who leads the right-wing sting group Live Action, gets some of her funding. Quite a rogues’ gallery, it would seem.
Rose, you’ll recall, has been going “undercover” to Planned Parenthood clinics for years, often posing as an underage client, and taking video with a concealed camera. Her avowed purpose is to put Planned Parenthood out of business. This week, Rose made news when a video gleaned from a New Jersey Planned Parenthood clinic revealed an employee advising a Live Action operative, posing as a pimp, on how to bend the rules for under-age sex-workers should they seek to have an abortion. The employee was promptly fired by Planned Parenthood. A Live Action video released days later of an interaction in a Virginia Planned Parenthood clinic revealed an employee acting appropriately, despite Live Action’s claims to the contrary.
In response to my question about Live Action’s funding, Schear said that Lila Rose’s anti-choice activism began with a grant from Morton Blackwell’s Leadership Institute, which has been training young right-wingers for leadership roles for more than 30 years. The grant funded Rose’s newspaper, The Advocate, which she still publishes. I recently attended one of the Institute’s breakfast meetings with news-makers; the speaker was Tim Phillips, president of the Americans for Prosperity Foundation, the astroturf group founded and chaired by David Koch. Phillips, you see, is a graduate of the Institute, as are many right-wing luminaries.
One Comment to “Who’s funding the “stings” at Planned Parenthood?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.