From Stephanie Low (to the New York Times):
To the Editor:
As a Manhattan resident and one of the 300-some Interveners in the
Spectra 40-inch pipeline project being considered by FERC, I was
frightened to read of the major gas explosion in Allentown, PA, where
there is a rising count of dead and injured from only a “12-inch
low-pressure main” leak. The Spectra gas line runs through Jersey
City, Staten Island and emerges in lower Manhattan, some of the most
densely populated areas in the country. Similar explosions in
California and Philadelphia, killing a total of nine, do little to
relieve my anxiety about a potential explosion in New York City,
where the pipeline would be a terrorist target and a likely
opportunity for ‘human error.”
There are many reasons why we do not need this proposed pipeline
allowing billions of cubic feet of natural gas (methane), mined at
terrible cost to our national environment and public health, to be
shipped off to foreign ports, but the enormous profits the natural
gas industry would reap from the project may carry the day. That is,
unless letters such as this arouse an unknowing populace to the great
risks this project places on our city and our lives.
Member of Gas Drilling Task Force, Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter
Member of National Hydrofracking Team, Sierra Club
Chair, Legislative/Political Committee, NY-H2O
One Comment to “What happened in Allentown could happen in NY and NJ (and elsewhere)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.