The Pentagon Papers Donald Rumsfeld Doesn’t Want You to See
by John Cook
When Donald Rumsfeld released his memoir Known and Unknown, he made a big deal out of putting thousands of documents from his archives online in a sop to transparency and accuracy. But he didn’t put them all online. And we’ve found some of the papers that Rumsfeld would have preferred to toss down the memory hole.
The Rumsfeld Papers web site, which launched earlier this month as a complement to the memoir, is a collection of Rumsfeld’s memos, speeches, and other documents going back to his days as an undergraduate at Princeton in the 1950s. The idea, according to a researcher he hired for the project, “to get more information in people’s hands” because “he really thinks the free flow of information is critical to a vibrant democracy.” Rumsfeld himself compared the digital archive to a sort of legit version of Wikileaks.
More power to him! Except Rumsfeld, of course, only posted the information that he wanted to flow freely. The other stuff-like his callous attempts to keep John Walker Lindh from getting speedy trial, his effort to whitewash the Pentagon’s detainee policy, and the friendly op-eds he tried to plant in newspapers-he left out. Luckily, we were able to get a hold of some of the papers from his days as defense secretary that Rumsfeld reviewed and deliberately withheld from the archive.
One Comment to “The Pentagon Papers that Rumsfeld wants you NOT to see”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.