Tell your Congressperson to vote NO to the PATRIOT Act before tomorrow’s vote! The PATRIOT reauthorization bill being fast-tracked to the House floor contains NO reforms, and will be voted upon with NO debate and NO opportunity for amendments to add oversight and accountability. Help stop this sneak attack on your civil liberties.
Last year, many important PATRIOT reform measures were proposed, and a bill filled with powerful new checks and balances was reported favorably out of the House Judiciary Committee. But, as it ran up against the deadline, Congress decided there was not enough time to fully consider those reforms. So, last year, Congress extended the “sunsetting” sections of the law until the end of this February, with a promise to fully consider the issues before the next deadline.
But now, in a legislative sneak attack, the new Republican leadership in the House is trying to duck Congress’ promise to consider PATRIOT reform, and is instead pushing your Representative to rubber-stamp another PATRIOT renewal. The House leaders have just announced that they’ll be “suspending the rules” so that a bill introduced by Rep. Sensenbrenner to extend the expiring provisions until December 8, 2011 will go to the House floor for a vote on Tuesday, without any debate and without any opportunity for anyone to offer amendments to improve the bill.
The expiring PATRIOT Act provisions should not be renewed, and certainly not without any debate or any new checks and balances to prevent abuse and protect civil liberties. Luckily, in order for the PATRIOT renewal bill to pass on Tuesday, it has to receive a yes vote from a full two-thirds of the House’s members. So a message from you, today, could make the critical difference. Contact your Representative today to make clear that you oppose H.R. 514, the PATRIOT extension bill!
EFF appreciates your support and respects your privacy.
One Comment to “Tell your Representative to vote NO to the PATRIOT ACT, and DO IT NOW!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.