Tomgram: William Astore, Six Vows to Support Our Troops
Posted by William Astore at 4:10pm, February 20, 2011.
Last year, in a joint investigation Propublica and National Public Radio reported that “[t]he military medical system is failing to diagnose brain injuries in troops who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, many of whom receive little or no treatment for lingering health problems.”
This year, the city of Clarksville, Tennessee, decided to relax restrictions on outdoor signage for those wishing to post banners in support of troops returning to nearby Fort Campbell from deployments overseas. Mayor Kim McMillan told a local television station, “We had a number of individuals that wanted to display banners that really honor our soldiers, those that are out protecting our freedoms every day. We really wanted to make sure they could do that without having to deal with those [restrictions].” It will cost $25 for a banner permit.
Last week, the Washington Post reported: “Nine months after President Obama authorized a broad expansion of benefits for those caring for service members severely wounded in the nation’s two current wars, none of the assistance has materialized and it is caught up in a bureaucratic tangle that could shrink the number of families eligible for the help.”
One Comment to ““Support our troops”? How about LISTENING TO THEM?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.