Wisconsin Lt. Governor: Stripping Workers’ Rights Is The ‘Responsible’ Way To ‘Balance This Budget’
Protesting public workers in Wisconsin plan to continue demonstrating this week against Gov. Scott Walker’s (R-WI) plan to strip them of their collective bargaining rights, as the state’s Republican lawmakers said that they will move forward with their agenda in the absence of state Democrats (who have set up shop in Illinois, to deny the state Senate a quorum). Walker has thus far refused multiple compromises offered by both the workers themselves and a member of his own party, insisting that any deal include an elimination of collective bargaining rights for public employees.
Walker’s stated reason for wanting to eliminate collective bargaining for state employees is Wisconsin’s economic woes. Last night, Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch (R-WI) appeared on Fox News to claim that Walker’s union-busting approach is necessary because “we’re broke.” “Our governor, Scott Walker, has chosen to do the responsible thing and tell the truth to the taxpayers of the state of Wisconsin, and balance this budget in a sound way,” she said:
We just can’t afford it. We’re not joking when we say that we’re broke. We don’t have any money to negotiate with. […] Wisconsin is proud to be a leader here. I think Gov. Scott Walker has done a tremendous job blaxing a trail when it comes to frugality and moderation as we approach a fiscal crisis. Because we know that Wisconsin is certainly not the only state facing this kind of deep budget crisis.
One Comment to “Stripping workers’ rights is “responsible” way to balance budget, says Lt. Gov.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.