Olbermann’s Disturbing Departure
By Franklin L. Johnson
Editor’s Note: When George W. Bush was at the swaggering height of his power, there were few voices in the major U.S. news media who dared to take him on, especially among the high-paid TV news personalities. One exception was MSNBC’s Keith Olbermann.
That is why Olbermann’s sudden ouster from his Countdown program last month was so stunning – and why it portends a less pugnacious response from American liberals to the new surge in right-wing political power, as Franklin L. Johnson notes in this guest essay:
On Friday evening, Jan. 21, after reading a short story by James Thurber, titled The Scotty Who Knew Too Much, Keith Olbermann abruptly closed his program by informing his viewers it would be his last. This out-of-the-blue exit will go down in broadcast history as one of the most bizarre.
One Comment to “Olbermann’s departure tells us something–and it isn’t good”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.