Elder Bush Receives Medal of Freedom
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
The patriarch of the Bush family dynasty stood in the White House he once led, a bit unsteady but with a large smile on his face, and accepted the nation’s highest civilian honor from President Obama on Tuesday.
In an East Room ceremony, former President George Bush, 86, received the 2010 Medal of Freedom, part of a group of 15 Americans who Mr. Obama hailed for their contributions to the arts, politics, public service, sports and activism.
“His life is a testament that public service is a noble calling,” Mr. Obama said of the 41st president before tying the blue-and-white ribbon and medal around his neck. “Like the remarkable Barbara Bush, his humility and his decency reflects the very best of the American spirit. This is a gentleman.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.