Republican Lawmakers Face Grassroots Pressure Over ‘War On Contraception’
WASHINGTON — Women’s-rights activists are taking the fight to preserve family-planning funding outside the Beltway, calling on grassroots activists to pressure their representatives into maintaining the Title X program.
Enacted in 1970 as part of the Public Health Service Act, the family-planning program was designed to focus on low-income Americans. The preventive-health services it provides include information and access to contraception, earning the ire of social conservatives.
Republicans have placed a high priority on cutting $327 million from the program, the amount that was requested in the FY 2011 appropriations budget. However, just $317 was appropriated, so the GOP plan would effectively kill the program. Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.) has introduced separate legislation to “deny Title X funds to Planned Parenthood or any other abortion provider.” In his FY 2012 budget released today, President Obama requests $327 million for the program.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.