House votes to prevent reporting system for assault-weapon sales
By James V. Grimaldi
Washington Post Staff Writer
Saturday, February 19, 2011; 8:06 PM
The House voted overwhelmingly Friday to block the Obama administration from implementing a controversial proposal meant to give federal authorities a new tool to catch gunrunners to Mexico.
The proposed rule was strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association, which praised the House for taking the action.
The measure passed with bipartisan support, 277 to 149, which added it to a massive spending bill that would keep the federal government running through September.
One Comment to “House–i.e., NRA–blocks reporting system for assault-weapon sales”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.