Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker: Funded by the Koch Bros.
By Andy Kroll| Fri Feb. 18, 2011
Wisconsin Republican Governor Scott Walker, whose bill to kill collective bargaining rights for public-sector unions has caused an uproar among state employees, might not be where he is today without the Koch brothers. Charles and David Koch are conservative titans of industry who have infamously used their vast wealth to undermine President Obama and fight legislation they detest, such as the cap-and-trade climate bill, the health care reform act, and the economic stimulus package. For years, the billionaires have made extensive political donations to Republican candidates across the country and have provided millions of dollars to astroturf right-wing organizations. Koch Industries’ political action committee has doled out more than $2.6 million to candidates. And one prominent beneficiary of the Koch brothers’ largess is Scott Walker.
According to Wisconsin campaign finance filings, Walker’s gubernatorial campaign received $43,000 from the Koch Industries PAC during the 2010 election. That donation was his campaign’s second-highest, behind $43,125 in contributions from housing and realtor groups in Wisconsin. The Koch’s PAC also helped Walker via a familiar and much-used politicial maneuver designed to allow donors to skirt campaign finance limits. The PAC gave $1 million to the Republican Governors Association, which in turn spent $65,000 on independent expenditures to support Walker. The RGA also spent a whopping $3.4 million on TV ads and mailers attacking Walker’s opponent, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. Walker ended up beating Barrett by 5 points. The Koch money, no doubt, helped greatly.
15 Comments to “Big surprise (not)! Gov. Walker is a creature of Koch Industries…”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Israel using flechette shells in Gaza
- How to get medical aid into Gaza
- Russia won’t take control of Malaysian plane’s black boxes; calls for international inquiry
- CIA and NSA are A-OK with Pres. Obama!
- Bush/Cheney should get life in Gitmo for their “liberation” of Iraq (2)
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Wikileaks cables confirm that Ukraine's president has been working for the US since 2006
- Russia won't take control of Malaysian plane's black boxes; calls for international inquiry
- How to get medical aid into Gaza
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.