Wall Street Desperately Trying to Kill Law That Could Curb Obscene CEO Pay
By Sam Pizzigati, Blog for Our Future
Sometimes lobbyists – even the most perfectly coiffed – mess up. Lobbyists for Corporate America messed up big-time last summer. They let slip into law, via the 2,300-page Dodd-Frank financial reform bill, an obscure provision that could give future lawmakers a powerful lever for ratcheting down excessive CEO pay.
Now those lobbyists are pushing hard to undo their mistake – and progressives, led by AFL-CIO president Rich Trumka, are pushing back.
The winner won’t be clear until later this year when the Securities and Exchange Commission, the federal watchdog agency over Wall Street, releases the final regulations that will enforce the Dodd-Frank legislation.
That legislation includes an assortment of provisions that impact executive pay. One of these – “say on pay” – has been receiving a good bit of media attention. This “say on pay” guarantees shareholders a regular opportunity to cast “advisory” votes on the CEO pay packages that corporate boards produce.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Early America
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.