An Assassination’s Long Shadow
By Adam Hochschild
TODAY, millions of people on another continent are
observing the 50th anniversary of an event few
Americans remember, the assassination of Patrice
Lumumba. A slight, goateed man with black, half-framed
glasses, the 35-year-old Lumumba was the first
democratically chosen leader of the vast country,
nearly as large as the United States east of the
Mississippi, now known as the Democratic Republic of
One Comment to “The long shadow of Patrice Lumumba’s murder”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.