General Electric’s man in the White House
Will CEO Jeffrey Immelt be another figurehead, or a real power broker? Workers might be hoping for the former
By Andrew Leonard
President Obama has chosen GE CEO Jeffrey Immelt to replace Paul Volcker as the head of his Economic Recovery Advisory Board, now reframed as a “Jobs and Competitiveness Council.” According to Fox News talking head Noelle Nikpour, the appointment is yet another example of “Chicago-style politics payback.” The new position is a reward, so her analysis goes, for NBC’s “rooting” for Obama over the last two years.
Today’s entry in Fox’s through-the-looking-glass analysis of American politics would be funny if it wasn’t so sad. The network that regularly hires Republican presidential candidates as paid pundits dares criticize NBC for favoritism? No one at Fox would have blinked an eye if George W. Bush had chosen the CEO of the United States’ largest industrial conglomerate as an advisor. But if Obama picks him, it must be corruption!
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.