Honor the WikiLeakers
by Alexander Cockburn, t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed
When it comes to journalistic achievements in 2010, the elephant in the room is WikiLeaks. I’ve seen many put-downs of the materials as containing “no smoking guns”, or as being essentially trivial communications to the State Department from U.S. diplomats and kindred government agents around the world.
Now, it’s true that the cables were legally available to well over 1.5 million Americans, who had adequate security clearance. But trivial? Don’t believe it. The cables show the daily business of a mighty empire acting in manners diametrically opposite to public pretensions. The cables form one of the most extraordinary lessons in the cold realities of international diplomacy ever made public. Normally, scholars have to wait for 10, 20, even 50 years to gain access to such papers.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.