Blackwater deaths suit tossed after six years
By Mike Baker
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
RALEIGH, N.C. – A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit that blamed the security company formerly known as Blackwater for the deaths of four contractors killed in a 2004 ambush on the restive streets of Iraq.
U.S. District Judge James C. Fox [a Reagan appointee-MCM] said court-ordered arbitration fell apart because neither side was paying the costs of that process, so he decided to end the case nearly seven years after the killings.
Katy Helvenston, the mother of contractor Scott Helvenston, said Tuesday that the families could not afford the costs and that she fears the case is over. The lawsuit was filed about a year after the men’s deaths.
One Comment to “Federal judge tosses lawsuit over Blackwater deaths”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.