Conflict of Interest: Ex Monsanto Lawyer Clarence Thomas to Hear Major Monsanto Case
By Doug Snodgrass
Celcias, March 11, 2010
Straight to the Source
In Monsanto v. Geertson Seed Farms, No. 09-475, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case which could have an enormous effect on the future of the American food industry. This is Monsanto’s third appeal of the case, and if they win a favorable ruling from the high court, a deregulated Monsanto may find itself in position to corner the markets of numerous U.S. crops, and to litigate conventional farmers into oblivion.
Here’s where it gets a bit dicier. Two Supreme Court justices have what appear to be direct conflicts of interest.
Stephen Breyer: Charles Breyer, the judge who ruled in the original decision of 2007 which is being appealed, is the brother of Stephen Breyer, who apparently views this as a conflict of interest and has recused himself.
Clarence Thomas: From the years 1976 – 1979, Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto. Thomas apparently does not see this as a conflict of interest and has not recused himself.
Fox, meet henhouse.
2 Comments to “Ex-Monsanto lawyer Clarence Thomas won’t recuse himself from big Monsanto case”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “No comparison can be made” between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Nailed by all-white jury for “election fraud,” Rev. Edward Pinckney faces life in prison
- Is that President Obama’s CIA, or the CIA’s President Obama?
- Rudy Giuliani uses Eric Garner’s death to bash the Teachers Union
- Bush/Cheney convicted of war crimes in absentia
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Is that President Obama's CIA, or the CIA's President Obama?
- "No comparison can be made" between 9/11 and CIA torture, says Dick Cheney (and he would know!)
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Talking Points Memo
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.