Conflict of Interest: Ex Monsanto Lawyer Clarence Thomas to Hear Major Monsanto Case
By Doug Snodgrass
Celcias, March 11, 2010
Straight to the Source
In Monsanto v. Geertson Seed Farms, No. 09-475, the U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments in a case which could have an enormous effect on the future of the American food industry. This is Monsanto’s third appeal of the case, and if they win a favorable ruling from the high court, a deregulated Monsanto may find itself in position to corner the markets of numerous U.S. crops, and to litigate conventional farmers into oblivion.
Here’s where it gets a bit dicier. Two Supreme Court justices have what appear to be direct conflicts of interest.
Stephen Breyer: Charles Breyer, the judge who ruled in the original decision of 2007 which is being appealed, is the brother of Stephen Breyer, who apparently views this as a conflict of interest and has recused himself.
Clarence Thomas: From the years 1976 – 1979, Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto. Thomas apparently does not see this as a conflict of interest and has not recused himself.
Fox, meet henhouse.
2 Comments to “Ex-Monsanto lawyer Clarence Thomas won’t recuse himself from big Monsanto case”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Gitmo on Lake Michigan: Chicago PD’s “black site” is a glaring crime against the Bill of Rights
- New York’s highest court agrees to hear the case against NYU’s lunatic expansion plan
- USA is going all Tonkin Gulf on Russia
- “Christian” school in Texas honors Torturer-in-Chief
- New findings show that charter schools do NOT “perform” as advertised
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- MSNBC will purge its (so-called) "left-wing" hosts
- New from the Forbidden Bookshelf: CIA lies, "the other Zionism," the reach of Jimmy Hoffa, and the US military's academic sway (MCM with Abby Martin)
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.