Crisis in Korea: the Roots of Conflict
by Richard Greeman
CONTENTS: 1. Who’s Provoking Whom? 2. Give Peace A Chance – 3. New U.S. Provocations – 4. A New Korean War? – 5. A Home-made Nuclear Umbrella – 6. Possible Consequences of Miscalculation – 7. Does Washington have a Strategy? – 8. The China Factor – 9. Back to Gunboat Diplomacy – 10. The Hidden History of the Korean War – 11. Truman’s U.N. Figleaf – 12. An Unfinished Asian Revolution – 13. The Brutal U.S. Occupation – 14. The North Korean Communists Consolidate – 15. The Party Degenerates – 16. The Smoldering Korean Civil War Bursts into Flame – 17. The U.S. Rearms – 18. The Chinese Enter the Fray – 19. U.S. Defeat – 20. The ‘Korea Syndrome’ – 21. The Truman Doctrine Revived – 22. Realpolitik or Imperial Madness? – 23. The March of Folly – 24. Possible Sane Solutions – 25. Building International Solidarity
1. Who’s Provoking Whom?
North Korea is a tinderbox, and the Obama Administration — like the Bush Administration whose bellicose policies it inherited – has been playing with matches. Why are the U.S. and its allies acting hysterical about the Iranians — whose nuclear programs might at some future time lead to nuclear weapons — while recklessly provoking the North Koreans, whose stock of tested nuclear weapons are presumably operational now?
The Korean powder-keg is the kind of situation that calls for delicate diplomacy, yet in response to November’s North-South artillery duel, the U.S. chose to send the atomic-powered aircraft carrier George Washington to join the provocative U.S./South Korean war-games in contested waters just off the coast of North Korea. The Administration and the media chose to focus on the fatal shelling of Yeonpyeong Island in order to portray the N. Koreans as terrorists. Yet placed in the context of the U.S. imperialism’s far more aggressive and provocative behaviors, N. Korea’s brutal ‘signals’ may best understood as defensive. Look at the facts from the N. Korean point of view.
If you would like to read the rest of this piece, please email Richard Greeman.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.