EIA Projects Climate Catastrophe
The U.S. Energy Information Administration has projected that the United
States will lead the world into catastrophic global warming over the next
twenty five years. In its 2011 Annual Energy Outlook, the EIA predicts that
energy-related CO2 emissions will “grow by 16 percent from 2009 to 2035,”
reaching 6.3 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide equivalent (or 1.7 GtC):
The fuel mix the EIA projects remains predominantly coal and oil, with a
moderate rise in renewable energy, whose pollution benefits are offset by
growth in energy demand:
This pathway would almost certainly commit the world to catastrophic climate
change, including rapid sea level rise, extreme famine, desertification, and
ecological collapse on land and sea. Right now, the United States, with less
than five percent of global population, produces 20 percent of global
warming pollution. Center for American Progress senior fellow Joe Romm
published in Nature in 2008 that humanity “must aim at achieving average
annual carbon dioxide emissions of less than 5 GtC [5 billion metric tons of
carbon, or 18 billion metric tons of carbon dioxide] this century or risk
the catastrophe of reaching atmospheric concentrations of 1,000 p.p.m.” To
do so, he said, humanity needs to adopt a “national and global strategy to
stop building new traditional coal-fired plants while starting to deploy
existing and near-term low-carbon technologies as fast as is humanly
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Mainstream Baptist
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.