The 9 Weirdest Things About the WikiLeaks Story
By Julianne Escobedo Shepherd, AlterNet
Posted on December 6, 2010, Printed on December 11, 2010
The release of the US embassy cables has thus far been one of the most… interesting moments in recent US (and World) history, impacting global politics in a way that is unprecedented. Nestled amid the outrage and debate are some truly weird aspects that make the brouhaha seem like a lost installment in the Jason Bourne chronicles (or Catch Me If You Can). More important than the drama and gossip, WikiLeaks is a tentpost in the information age, a milestone potentially heralding a new era of internet transparency. As world governments balk at the exposure of their secrets — and scramble to suppress the information — Assange and his crew are expressing their right to free speech and facilitating the public’s fundamental right to know exactly what their leaders are up to, particularly when it entails wars, torture, and secret military action.
Here are the 8 craziest facets of the international uproar surrounding WikiLeaks and Julian Assange.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The International Human Press
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.