If this sort of thing were going on in Russia, or Iran, we might be hearing plenty more about it; but it’s happening here, and it’s routine by now; and those who get this treatment don’t have money.
So it’s not “news,” even though it’s a continuous, and rampant, and egregious violation of the rights assured us (that is, all of us) by the Constitution. It is, in short, “cruel and unusual punishment,” which is another name for torture. (And what is it a punishment for, exactly?
In all too many cases, nothing much, or nothing at all.)
And it will keep happening, unless the press decides to make an issue of it.
The 6 Most Shocking Cases of Police Stun-Gun Abuse
By Lauren Kelley, AlterNet
Posted on December 7, 2010, Printed on December 11, 2010
Take a police force that’s notorious for its use of excessive force, add a massive arsenal of tasers, put those weapons in the hands of low-level patrol officers, and what do you get?
If you guessed “an awful mess of civil rights abuses and safety concerns,” then, unfortunately, you’re correct. A new report from the City of Chicago Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates police misconduct cases in the city, has found that incidences of taser use by Chicago police officers increased by nearly 350% over the past year in the wake of the department’s decision to more than double its taser arsenal in the name of “increasing officer safety” and “defusing trouble.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.