If this sort of thing were going on in Russia, or Iran, we might be hearing plenty more about it; but it’s happening here, and it’s routine by now; and those who get this treatment don’t have money.
So it’s not “news,” even though it’s a continuous, and rampant, and egregious violation of the rights assured us (that is, all of us) by the Constitution. It is, in short, “cruel and unusual punishment,” which is another name for torture. (And what is it a punishment for, exactly?
In all too many cases, nothing much, or nothing at all.)
And it will keep happening, unless the press decides to make an issue of it.
The 6 Most Shocking Cases of Police Stun-Gun Abuse
By Lauren Kelley, AlterNet
Posted on December 7, 2010, Printed on December 11, 2010
Take a police force that’s notorious for its use of excessive force, add a massive arsenal of tasers, put those weapons in the hands of low-level patrol officers, and what do you get?
If you guessed “an awful mess of civil rights abuses and safety concerns,” then, unfortunately, you’re correct. A new report from the City of Chicago Independent Police Review Authority, which investigates police misconduct cases in the city, has found that incidences of taser use by Chicago police officers increased by nearly 350% over the past year in the wake of the department’s decision to more than double its taser arsenal in the name of “increasing officer safety” and “defusing trouble.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Online Journal
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.