Hey Firedoglake Activist,
Bradley Manning spent his 23rd birthday on Friday completely isolated, just as he has every day
Manning is the Marine Private accused of leaking classified documents to Wikileaks. Since July,
The extreme isolation in which Manning has spent every day of the last 5 months is grueling. It’s already taking its toll: Bradley Manning’s physical and mental health are suffering, according to his attorney and friend who have seen him in prison.
Bradley Manning deserves humane treatment while he awaits trial. Can you please add your name
Bradley’s friend, David House, will deliver your letter to the Commanding Officer at the Quantico Marine Base brig when he visits Bradley next month.
While Manning is held in “maximum custody,” the military’s most severe detention policy, he is
A day in the life of Bradley Manning is isolating, lonely, and frustrating.
– Manning stays in his cell for 23 hours a day
– Guards must check on him every 5 minutes, and he must respond each time
– He is not allowed to sleep between 5am and 8pm
– Substantive exercise is not allowed beyond walking, potentially in chains
– Communication with other people in the brig is banned, and he cannot write to people outside beyond the few a list approved by the brig commander; any unapproved letters he receives are destroyed.
– He has not been allowed to read newspapers or watch international news during TV time
– Comfortable sleep is impossible; he must surrender his clothes each night, has only a heavy
– A psychologist has said Manning isn’t a danger to himself or others, and the POI order is unnecessary. His lawyer has also been unable to remove the POI order. But it is clear that
Stop the inhumane treatment of Bradley Manning. Please add your name to our letter urging the Marine Commander in charge of Manning lift the unnecessary POI order.
No matter what you think of Manning’s alleged acts, there is no reason to subject him to these extreme conditions. Thank you for standing up for human rights.