Just-Released IRS Data Show Effects of Our Radical New Greed-Is-Good Culture
As the House considers a bill to extend the Bush tax cuts for the top 2%, slash corporate taxes and potentially make the Estate Tax more generous to billionaires than ever before, it’s instructive to put the move into a larger cultural/historical context. And thanks to newly released IRS documents, we can do just that.
Estate tax could be more generous to wealthy under Obama-GOP deal
By Zachary A. Goldfarb
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 10, 2010; 10:05 PM
One part of the tax deal between President Obama and congressional Republicans stands out because it would make the tax code even more generous to the wealthy than it was during the Bush era: the estate tax.
What the tax extension means for you
President Obama campaigned on a promise to repeal the George W. Bush-era tax cuts that benefit the wealthiest 2 percent of U.S. households. But with Republicans insistent on preserving all of the cuts, the president decided that abandoning that position was the price of preventing a political stalemate that would have caused taxes to rise for all Americans. If Congress approves the compromise deal Obama reached with GOP leaders, most Americans will pay lower taxes next year than they would have if all Bush tax cuts were extended.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Cody Lyon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.