I didn’t hear about Obama’s joke, or the (as usual) hyena laughter of the press, when this went down in May. So here it is–since this appalling story is as timely now as it was then, atrociously enough.
US drone attacks are no laughing matter, Mr Obama
The president’s backing of indiscriminate slaughter in Pakistan can only encourage new waves of militancy
by Mehdi Hasan
Speaking at the White House Correspondents’ Association dinner in May, Barack Obama spotted teen pop band the Jonas Brothers in the audience. “Sasha and Malia are huge fans, but, boys, don’t get any ideas,” deadpanned the president, referring to his daughters. “Two words for you: predator drones. You will never see it coming.” The crowd laughed, Obama smiled, the dinner continued. Few questioned the wisdom of making such a tasteless joke; of the US commander-in-
chief showing such casual disregard for the countless lives lost abroad through US drone attacks.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.