From Allen Feldman:
I wrote the following letter of protest to the BBC in response to this sexist and stupid BBC interview with Assange.
There should be more protests to the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/contact_today/default.stm
“John Humphreys’ interview with Julian Assange reached a new low for BBC when he repeatedly asked Assange how many “women” he has “slept with.” The question was sexist and irrelevant and I wonder if BBC reporters are required to reveal their private sex lives on air as part of their bona fides. Despite declaiming that “we can’t try the case here, (on-air)” that was precisely what he was doing in asking Assange to disclose his private sex life.
Further Humphreys proved his journalistic incompetence when he conflated the Swedish prosecutor leaking details of an investigation prior to charge or trial that compromises Assange’s presumption of innocence and wikileaks’ reporting of leaked state documents on undeclared wars that have caused mass violations of human rights paid for by taxpayers who have little or no knowledge of the damage being done in their names.”
Transcript: The Assange interview
He is under strict bail conditions while he fights extradition to Sweden where he is wanted for questioning about claims of sexual assault.
Today programme presenter John Humphrys went to meet him for what is Mr Assange’s first face-to-face broadcast interview since his release.
Q: Why won’t you go back to Sweden?
JA: I have been back. I was there for some five weeks after these initial allegations were made. They were dropped within 24 hours of them first being made. The most senior prosecutor in Stockholm reviewed them and they were dropped. Then politician Claes Borgstrom became involved, other forces became involved and the case, the investigative part of the case, was taken up again. We waited some four/five weeks to be interviewed, so I could put my side of this case forward, and that did not happen.
5 Comments to “BBC’s low, dirty-minded interview with Julian Assange”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Democratic Undergroud
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.