6 Companies That Haven’t Wussed Out of Working with WikiLeaks
By Tana Ganeva, AlterNet
Posted on December 10, 2010, Printed on December 12, 2010
Giants like PayPal, Amazon.com, Visa and MasterCard almost instantly crumbled under government (and p.r.) pressure to drop WikiLeaks, depriving the site of vital funding sources and online platforms. But other companies, some of them small, independent start-ups, have decided to risk he wrath of Joe Lieberman, the State Department, and their European counterparts and help keep WikiLeaks afloat by providing funding sources (yeah, you can now donate to WikiLeaks even if you only have Visa or MasterCard) and hosting the site. Here’s a list of companies that have stood by WikiLeaks:
The Philly online payment company has announced that unlike PayPal they welcome customer donations to WikiLeaks. According to their site, they’re even waiving fees and charges so that 100% of the money goes to the whistleblower site. “While people may or may not agree with WikiLeaks, we at XIPWIRE believe that anyone who wishes to support the organization through a donation should be able to do so,” they say on their site. While the publicity advantages are obvious, there’s also the threat of backlash. One of the founders told the tech blog BaltTech, “We’re fully aware that not everyone likes what Wikileaks is. But we are prepared to accept the consequences.”
(For the moment the money goes to an escrow account because they haven’t been able to reach WikiLeaks.)
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.