Here (below) is a shot across the bow of the incoming Congress, which–as Earth continues to heat up, and scientists keep coming up with still more evidence of man-made climate change–will soon be even more obstructionist; for quite a few of those Republicans who “won” House seats this month are staunch denialists vis-a-vis global warming, and are now planning a big propaganda blitz against those scientists.*
These new House members may be blinded by “free-market” ideology, and therefore willing tools of the oil industry and its gigantic peers; or they may be End-Times lunatics, eager for the world to melt so Jesus can return (and therefore willing tools of the oil industry and its gigantic peers).
Whatever drives them (and even though their “wins” were dubious in most cases, what with our faith-based voting system), they plan to laugh off the impending threat, which will include the melting of the glaciers and the drowning of low-lying areas throughout the world–including Queens and Brooklyn, North Carolina and Miami, and many highly populous coastal spots in Asia and elsewhere.
Kudos to the New York Times for running this important piece; and shame on all of us if we sit back and let the right (enabled by corrupt and/or weak Democrats) block any progress in the face of this quite real, and not-so-slow, catastrophe.
As Glaciers Melt, Science Seeks Data on Rising Seas
From a helicopter hovering over Greenland, the oceanographer Fiammetta Straneo took measurements to determine how fast the water is melting the nearby Helheim Glacier. More Photos »
By JUSTIN GILLIS
TASIILAQ, Greenland – With a tense pilot gripping the stick, the helicopter hovered above the water, a red speck of machinery lost in a wilderness of rock and ice.
To the right, a great fjord stretched toward the sea, choked with icebergs. To the left loomed one of the immense glaciers that bring ice from the top of the Greenland ice sheet and dump it into the ocean.
Hanging out the sides of the craft, two scientists sent a measuring device plunging into the water, between ice floes. Near the bottom, it reported a temperature of 40 degrees. It was the latest in a string of troubling measurements showing that the water was warm enough to melt glaciers rapidly from below.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Ostroy Report
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- William Betz
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.