The big lie about abortion and mental health
By Brenda Major
The latest war on abortion is being fought less over women’s bodies than over their minds. In the past few years, under the banner of “a woman’s right to know,” a number of states have passed laws mandating that women seeking abortions be told that going ahead with the procedure would expose them to mental health risks, including post-traumatic stress and a greater danger of suicide.
Such warnings might sound like a good idea. The decision to terminate a pregnancy can be difficult, and some women end up regretting it. It’s commendable to help women make an informed choice. But an informed choice requires accurate information. And these laws mandate that women be misled.
Rigorous U.S. scientific studies have not substantiated the claim that abortion, compared with its alternatives, causes an increased incidence of mental health problems. The same conclusion was reached in 2008 by an American Psychological Association task force, which I chaired, as well as by an independent team of scholars at Johns Hopkins University. As recently as September, Oregon State University researchers announced the results of a national study showing that teenagers who have an abortion are no more likely to become depressed or to have low self-esteem one year or five years later, compared with their peers who deliver.
2 Comments to “The Big Lie about abortion and mental health”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.