Having gone through the “fiasco” of e-voting in 2007–the sort of mess that
the Republicans and Democrats don’t seem to mind at all–Scotland will go
back to voting the old-fashioned way: hand-counted paper ballots. Although that
method too (of course) enables fraud, the possibilities for election theft are
infinitely greater with computerized systems, as we’ve seen in this faltering
democracy time after time.
Funny how the Tea-Baggers (or most of them), for all their hatred of “the government,”
don’t seem to mind “the government” deploying electronic means to count their votes.
And it is just as funny (although it’s really not the least bit funny) that the Democrats
aren’t out there vowing to contest the outcomes of tomorrow’s races, should there
be any evidence of vote suppression or election fraud (as there will surely be, as
there has been a lot of just such evidence already, all of which the Dems continue
to refuse to see).
Meanwhile, in such vigorous democracies as Scotland and Germany, they’ve taken
steps to make elections sound. (Germany’s highest court ruled e-voting unconstituional,
as it violates a basic human right.*)
Electronic voting system scrapped
A controversial system of electronic ballot counting is to be ditched for next year’s Holyrood election, it has been confirmed.
Votes will instead be counted by hand following the chaos which followed the 2007 Holyrood election which saw more than 140,000 ballots spoilt.
Scottish Secretary Michael Moore has also confirmed that the election next year will also see a return to two separate ballot papers for the constituency seats and regional lists.
Holyrood election ballots to be counted by hand
More than 140,000 ballot papers were spoilt in the 2007 election
Ballot papers for next May’s Scottish elections will be counted by hand, in the wake of the 2007 voting fiasco.
The last Holyrood election, which made use of electronic counting, was hit by problems which resulted in more than 140,000 spoilt ballot papers.
There will also be a return to two separate ballot papers for the regional list and constituency contests.
There will be a bigger gap between the close of nominations and polling day, allowing more time for postal voting.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Election Defense Alliance
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.