Having been “re-elected” thanks, in part, to the righteous fire that neatly wiped out all the e-voting machines in Houston (and, no doubt, thanks too to God only knows what other strokes of Karl Rove’s ol’ black magic), Rick Perry is already moving on the ultra- right agenda drafted by the billionaires who funded the “Tea Party movement.”
Whether Perry and Tuesday’s other “winners” really won–and there is, of course, no evidence that they did, what with our faith-based voting system and cooked “exit polls”–the plutocratic drive to cut Social Security does not have popular support, and never will.
Rick Perry Proposes Letting States Opt Out of Social Security
Saturday 06 November 2010
by: Ian Millhiser | ThinkProgress | Report
Appearing on CNN’s Parker/Spitzer this past week, occasionally secessionist Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) proposed allowing states to opt-out of Social Security:
“Here’s what I think would be a very wise thing,” he began. “In 1981, Matagorda, Brazoria, and Galveston Counties all opted out of the Social Security program for their employees. Today, their program is very, very well-funded and there is no question about whether it’s going to be funded in the out years. It’s there. That’s an option out there.”
“So, you want to let people opt out?” responded Spitzer.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Election Defense Alliance
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.