High Fives: New York Legislature Approves Fracking Moratorium
By Tara Lohan
Posted at November 30, 2010, 10:26 am
I wrote last week about an incredible effort by the Working Families Party and other allies to help turn up the heat in New York State on the controversial practice of “fracking” by gas drilling companies. In a huge victory last night the New York Assembly voted 93 to 43 for a temporary moratorium on the practice (until May of next year) so that the environmental impacts can be better assessed. This comes after states like Pennsylvania, which allow fracking have reported numerous environmental violations, most especially, threats to ground and surface water.
New York’s senate passed a similar bill several months ago and now the fracking moratorium awaits the signature of Gov. Patterson — you can urge him to sign this legislation by calling his office at 518-474-8390.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- When it comes to election fraud, InfoWars is just as blind as all our other media
- While Obama preaches “human rights” to Russia, Don Siegelman sits shackled in an Alabama courtroom, spends Christmas in solitary confinement
- Racist NY cops colluding with Republicans to undermine de Blasio
- Wisconsin court examining Scott Walker’s case is mostly just as dirty as Scott Walker
- A New York City cop speaks out on those who turned their backs on Mayor de Blasio
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- URGENT! How George Bush "beat" John Kerry in 2004: Ken Blackwell's secret CONTRACT with Mike Connell, to rip off Ohio's vote
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.