High Fives: New York Legislature Approves Fracking Moratorium
By Tara Lohan
Posted at November 30, 2010, 10:26 am
I wrote last week about an incredible effort by the Working Families Party and other allies to help turn up the heat in New York State on the controversial practice of “fracking” by gas drilling companies. In a huge victory last night the New York Assembly voted 93 to 43 for a temporary moratorium on the practice (until May of next year) so that the environmental impacts can be better assessed. This comes after states like Pennsylvania, which allow fracking have reported numerous environmental violations, most especially, threats to ground and surface water.
New York’s senate passed a similar bill several months ago and now the fracking moratorium awaits the signature of Gov. Patterson — you can urge him to sign this legislation by calling his office at 518-474-8390.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Joe Biden spreads the “fracking gospel” in Ukraine!
- Obama (finally!) sacks his pardons attorney
- BBC takes a close look at those NYTimes photographs of “Russian troops”
- Four years later, BP’s Gulf is still a hell on earth
- In Washington, you can get away with murder (and that’s not all), but NOT with blowing the whistle on it
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- NATO moving in on Russia (2 items)
- EU spy chief sees NO Russian troops in East Ukraine
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NYU Law School trustee subpoenas NYU law students' emails
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.