Her name is Stacey Armato.
I am the brunette in black getting my items ready for screening (you will see me about 45 seconds into the video). I travel every week and bring home breast milk with me through Phoenix Sky Harbor. TSA rules allow for alternate screening (no xray) for breast milk and I almost never had a problem…until the week before this screening. I was held for 30 minutes that week while the TSA manager called to find out the rules. I was told to “pump and dump,” asked why the milk wasn’t clear, and asked where my baby was if it was really milk (uh traveling, working mom pumping doesn’t usually have the baby with her). After begging him to figure it out, they finally let me through. I called and complained to TSA and was instructed to travel with the TSA breast
milk rules printed out and present them whenever there is a problem. As my items come through security this time, I notice immediately that I was dealing with the same people from the week before. The woman tells me right away that my milk might have to go through xray, and then I tell her I printed the rules. I go to grab the rules on top of my bag and she freaks out and pushes my arm away. Another guy comes over and calls for “back up” and they put in me back in the glass cage. Standing 50 ft away are the same manager and supervisor I had dealt with the previous week. They will stall for 20 minutes before coming over to me.
Meanwhile, one of the guys comes over to me and tells me “to be quiet if I know what’s good for me.” At the end of this portion I have been locked up for just under 10 minutes. The whole ordeal takes just under 1 hour.
my brother in law did me a favor by helping me put the videos together, speed them up, and narrate. He didn’t know all the details so there were a few errors but he tried to get it up as soon as possible knowing that the issue really needed to get out there. My son was 7 months old at the time and I was not pregnant during the video. I got pregnant 6 weeks later and am due any week now with our next little one. Travel and pumping will start again for me in February 2011…
staceyarmato 21 hours ago
@mommy2kdk: I get to the airport just over an hour before my flight. It is a weekly commuter flight b/t PHX and LAX and I don’t check luggage. Usually the screening takes 5 extra minutes and lines are short. Clearly I wasn’t planning on an hour long screening which is why I missed my flight. @kcornishscott: I am working on getting women and men together on a blog soon. TSA is a major power-house and we need to band together otherwise this abuse of power will continue. I will update soon.
staceyarmato 21 hours ago
@mommy2kdk, you bring up a very good point. TSA does a very poor job of communicating the rules for breast milk. However, they are as follows: medical liquids can have an alternate screening (which means no x-ray) but must be announced before the x-ray machine. Breast milk is classified as a medical liquid. Also, the 3.4 oz requirement does not apply to medical liquids and as such does not apply to breast milk.
8 Comments to “Comments from the mother bullied and detained by TSA”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.