Black Voter in Philly Forced to Swear on Bible Before Casting Vote
by Brad Friedman
“did anyone else have to swear on a bible that their address was correct before they were able to vote? just wondering, because i did,” Philadelphia voter Lindsay Granger wrote on her blog after voting in last Tuesday’s mid-term election. “i had to lay my palm on the good book and state my name and address before i was allowed to sign my name in the voting log and enter the booth. they called it an affirmation. i call it creepy … and a little offensive …”
Granger notified VotersUnite.org last week after the incident which, she told the non-partisan election watchdog organization, made her “extremely uncomfortable because i’m not a Christian, and when i brought that up I was told to do it anyway.”
In her blog item, Granger, an African-American, admitted to being “hypersensitive” given “the historical context of black people voting in america”.
When informed of the incident, Bob Lee, the Voter Registration Administrator for the Philadelphia City Commissioners, confirmed to The BRAD BLOG that Bibles are, indeed, included in the package of election materials provided to each polling site, but says no such oath is required before casting a vote.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.