As Brad Friedman notes here, there are Bibles at the polls in all the precincts in
Philadelphia. I thank him for this email, as it gives me the chance to clarify my
recent item on the Bible incident reported by Dan Buskirk.
I sent that item out not just to note the presence of that Bible in Dan’s polling
place, but because of the poll-worker’s weird non sequitur, which seemed
unnecessarily evasive, if the Bible’s purpose there was innocent.
And so my subject line (“Another Bible at the polls in Philadelphia”) was certainly
misleading; and I thank Brad for resolving the confusion.
Just to be clear, as noted in my article about Lindsay Granger’s experience being forced to swear on a bible in Philly (http://www.bradblog.com/?p=8190), the city’s Administrator for Voter Registration, Bobby Lee, confirmed to me that all precincts in the city are supplied with a bible in their package of election materials. So we know, in fact, that (for whatever silly reason) there will be a bible in each precinct unless they change their procedures in the future.
Also noted in the article were four complaints, other than Lindsay’s, called into the 866-OUR-VOTE election protection hotline about those bibles as well (See here, here, here and here.)
So, in fact, we know they are there in all Philadelphia precincts. Whether they should be, of course, is a different matter. But just wanted to clarify that neither my article, nor the election administrator in Philly was trying to suggest that the presence of the bible was an anomaly in Philadelphia since, as he concedes, it’s been included in their election materials “for ages”. Only the use of it for swearing in a voter was/is (theoretically) the anomaly here.
Just hoping to clarify that, so you don’t get buried by folks confirming they also saw a bible at their Philly precinct, since it was likely the case this year at every precinct in the city.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.