Well, why wouldn’t they? Lest we forget, GE already “toned down Keith Olbermann” once, getting him to knock off his ferocious nightly drive against Fox News’s Bill O’Reilly. (This is was back in 8/09. See Mark Karlin’s piece at http://blog.buzzflash.com/node/9125.)
Comcast is a highly partisan concern, prone to blocking content that it doesn’t like, and doing so far more aggressively and bluntly than GE. (See, e.g., David Swanson’s piece at http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0716-20.htm.) When GE dumped Phil Donohue back in February, 2003, although he had the highest-rated show on MSNBC, the top brass tried (and failed) to hide the fact that they had axed PD for purely political reasons. (They didn’t like the anti-war slant of his guests.) Comcast probably would not care quite so much about appearances.
So Olbermann must either brace himself for (further) interference from on high, or find some way to mute himself, as nearly all Big Pundits do.
Will Comcast tone down Keith Olbermann?
Will cable operator Comcast Corp. try to tone down MSNBC host Keith Olbermann, known for his on-air criticism of Fox News host Bill O’Reilly, once it gets regulatory approval to take a controlling stake in MSNBC parent NBC Universal?
The New York Times on Monday recounted how a former employee of Comcast cable network CN8 who criticized O’Reilly lost his job in 2008 and sued in protest – but lost his case last month.
It pointed out that as the largest U.S. distributor of cable programming, Comcast is in business with Fox News and its parent News Corp., and it argued in the case against Nolan that he jeopardized its business interests at a time it was in carriage renewal talks with News Corp.
One Comment to “Will Comcast sit down hard on Olbermann?”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.