From Jonathan Simon:
We know better than to put anything past them. That said, we would expect to find a few glitches out there. The pattern we would see if pro-GOP rigging was rampant would be a certain very small amount of visible vote flipping both ways (those would be the glitches) while the real rigging was invisible.
Vote flipping visible on the screen is a risky and rather stupid way to rig elections and there’s obviously no need for it; you can just program the invisible counter on the chip to “flip” the votes. Visible vote flipping can lead to voter frustration and longer lines and work as a “denial of service” attack, but that is small potatoes compared to the potential of flat-out rigging. It could also conceivably provide an excuse for “maintenance,” allowing technicians to recalibrate the rig.
And, finally, it could be a calling card left visible to show that it’s just “innocent” glitches (which go in both directions) and not systemic fraud, as the unilateral pattern in the past has led us to claim.
Who knows. I strongly doubt, however, that it’s a GOP attempt to bring pro-Democratic rigging to light. They have way too much to lose by triggering any additional public attention to this phenomenon on either side. If I had to guess, I would say these flips are either genuine glitches or perhaps programming mistakes on the part of inside manipulators who just screwed up their code.
I have hoped that at some point a white-hat hacker would come in and rig an election such that, say, one candidate got 25 million votes in a state like North Dakota with a tiny fraction of that population. That would certainly get some attention and should be easy enough to do. I wondered briefly whether the flips that have been reported were part of such an effort, but I doubt it.
One Comment to “Vote-flipping is the least of it (Jonathan Simon)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Words of Power
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.