Will anyone apologize to Anita Hill now?
New statements by Clarence Thomas’ ex-girlfriend undermine the image that his defenders worked hard to create
You’ve probably seen that Clarence Thomas’ ex-girlfriend has broken her two-decade silence and publicly stated that the Supreme Court justice was “obsessed” with pornography when they dated.
While Lillian McEwen’s statement doesn’t by itself prove that Anita Hill was telling the truth when she accused Thomas of sexual harassment back in 1991, it does come close. After all, Thomas was indignant at his confirmation hearings at the suggestion that he enjoyed — and enjoyed talking about — pornography. And in countering Hill’s charges, it was his supposed good character and moral righteousness that Thomas’ defenders stressed over and over. As Strom Thurmond, one of the 52 senators who voted to confirm Thomas even after hearing Hill’s testimony, put it: “‘I do not believe Judge Thomas is capable of the kind of behavior Professor Hill described.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Ostroy Report
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.