As Eric Boehlert notes below, the horrid youngster James O’Keefe comes out of “a
media movement gone mad”–i.e., the feral network of Glenn Beck, Limbaugh,
Andrew Breitbart, Jim Hoft and the others who’ve been fulminating non-stop, and
with astounding virulence, since Obama was elected.
These people–“journalists,” they call themselves; and, no less amazingly,
“conservatives”–are an intolerable bunch, whose claims are just as false as they
are poisonous. They get away with it, of course, because they have Big Money
backing them; and, no less, because the mainstream press goes easy on them, not
just laying off them (where’s the outrage?) but also, worse yet, endlessly repeating
their Big Lies.
Take, for example, the Washington Post–which, as Brad Friedman notes below,
is still re-echoing the O’Keefe/Breitbart lies about ACORN (R.I.P.). It’s Alexandra
Petri, writing on Dana Milbank’s blog “Rough Sketch,” who’s now reconfirming the
disinformation (and, it seems, stalwartly refusing to correct it).
So what exactly does it take to get “the liberal media” to see the truth, and try to tell
the world about it? Could be there’s nothing that will work such magic on them; in
which case we’ll just have to keep trying to do that job ourselves, as daunting as it is.
James O’Keefe and a media movement gone mad
by Eric Boehlert
What is wrong with these people?
That’s a refrain that goes through my brain many times each week, and I’m sure goes through the minds of my Media Matters colleagues as we monitor the right-wing media and continue to be dumbstruck by what passes for content.
WashPost’s Milbank Blog Still Misreporting:
O’Keefe ‘Dressed Up as Pimp to Intv’w ACORN’…
by Brad Friedman
[UPDATED: 48 hours since original posting, still no correction by WaPo, Milbank or Petri…]
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Writers Voice
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Online Journal
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.