Foreclosure Fraud Shows the Need to Take On the Special Interests
I was heartened to see a group of Democratic Senators write this great letter to Ben Bernanke and administration officials on the foreclosure fraud issue. They came out strongly for several important things regarding homeowners’ rights, and they framed the issue perfectly: this is not some minor technical problem regarding some mislaid paperwork in a few cases, this is fraud by bankers on a massive scale. Along with this letter, check out this great op-ed by Sen. Whitehouse on the subject. Once again, in keeping with the pattern Digby first reported, this is all Democrats doing the right thing, and not a single Republican lifting a finger to help. Another bit of great news: Elizabeth Warren echoed the Senators message, calling the foreclosure issue “big and serious”. This puts the administration clearly on the side of the idea that this problem isn’t just a minor paperwork hassle, and that it matters a lot.
A foreclosure nightmare (Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse)
By Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) – 10/13/10 11:04 AM ET
The Wall Street Journal’s projection this week that investment banks will pay out a record $144 billion in bonuses this season shows that Wall Street has recovered from the recession. The homeowners whose mortgages were securitized and used to fuel the Wall Street bubble, however, are not doing nearly as well. Foreclosures remain epidemic in harder-hit states like Florida, Nevada, and my home state of Rhode Island, and our economies are slow to recover as a result.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Words of Power
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.