All 11 in Alabama gambling case plead not guilty
By Sebastian Kitchen
* Montgomery Advertiser *
October 15, 2010
The 11 defendants in an alleged scheme to buy votes in support of electronic gaming in the state pleaded not guilty in federal court on Friday. The judge set a trial date for April 4.
Casino owners Milton McGregor and Ronnie Gilley; state Sens. Quinton Ross, Harri Anne Smith, Larry Means and Jim Preuitt; lobbyists Bob Geddie, Jarrod Massey, and Tom Coker; legislative analyst Ray Crosby; and former Gilley spokesman Jay Walker all entered not guilty pleas.
The federal government is charging them with alleged widespread corruption to buy and sell votes for legislation that would have legalized and taxed electronic gaming in the state. Their effort to pass the legislation appeared to intensify as a task force assembled by Gov. Bob Riley began to crack down on facilities including McGregor’s VictoryLand in Shorter and Gilley’s Country Crossing near Dothan.
2 Comments to “Alabamans charged by DoJ all plead not guilty”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- alias Bruce
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.