All 11 in Alabama gambling case plead not guilty
By Sebastian Kitchen
* Montgomery Advertiser *
October 15, 2010
The 11 defendants in an alleged scheme to buy votes in support of electronic gaming in the state pleaded not guilty in federal court on Friday. The judge set a trial date for April 4.
Casino owners Milton McGregor and Ronnie Gilley; state Sens. Quinton Ross, Harri Anne Smith, Larry Means and Jim Preuitt; lobbyists Bob Geddie, Jarrod Massey, and Tom Coker; legislative analyst Ray Crosby; and former Gilley spokesman Jay Walker all entered not guilty pleas.
The federal government is charging them with alleged widespread corruption to buy and sell votes for legislation that would have legalized and taxed electronic gaming in the state. Their effort to pass the legislation appeared to intensify as a task force assembled by Gov. Bob Riley began to crack down on facilities including McGregor’s VictoryLand in Shorter and Gilley’s Country Crossing near Dothan.
2 Comments to “Alabamans charged by DoJ all plead not guilty”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- Words of Power
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.